Saturday, May 28, 2011

After sunrise





“If there's any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something. I know, it‘s almost impossible to succeed, but...who cares, really? The answer must be in the attempt.” (Script from Before Sunrise)

“I feel really alive when I want something more than just basic survival needs. I mean, wanting whether it's intimacy with another person, or a new pair of shoes, is kind of beautiful. I like that we have those ever-renewing desires.” (Script from Before Sunset)


Before Sunrise portrays the fantasy of two strangers decided to enjoy each other’s company and explore the city of Vienna for one single night while Before Sunset depicts the reality of their lives nine years after the first encounter.  Filled with brilliant dialogues, both stories speak relevance to this particular period of my life. 

Everyone new is first considered a stranger.  Some of us may cross paths and become friends, buddies, lovers, mentors, or even soulmates…  Still others remain strangers.  The amount of people I have met these past two weeks is overwhelming, but how many of us will actually last? 

Sometimes it’s common interests; other times it’s simple chemistry.  As we probably have experienced in our own lives, those ever-growing relationships are people who make you feel like yourself.  They enrich our existence with joy, laughter, affection, enthusiasm, and understanding.  I would certainly have missed out on the greatest treasure of being if I haven’t taken the risk of opening up myself to reveal and listen to the songs of tender souls.


That is precisely what I love about Before Sunrise.  Would you dare to get off the train and discover the possibility with someone you just met for 30 minutes?  I have to admit the compelling force behind the whole idea of chance and unknown fascinates me.  Stepping into uncertainty may lead to letdown, but passing up an opportunity will indubitably lead to regret. 

Before Sunset is a bittersweet continuance.  It specifically illustrates how the past could haunt us and somehow twists us into people we don’t aspire whatsoever.  Realism is cruel.  When spectacular episode or devastating disappointment became baggage, we start to drill inward and to believe that is all there is in life.  Back in the days I was a pessimistic character with much fear and no hope in the future.  Yet I refuse to let terror takeover my heart anymore.  It is all about the choices we make.  Our lives are in fact what we believe they are.

So will this splendid experience I’m having now turn against me someday?  My pure faith tells me that as long as I’m not hanging onto the bank of the river, I’m good.

一口氣看了兩齣電影 ﹣Before Sunrise Before Sunset,故事講述兩個陌生人在火車上相遇、毅然决定用一天的時間來探索維也納及互相認識,節奏流暢,充滿對生命好奇的提問及彼此有意思的對話,但當二人於九年後重遇時發覺一切已經人面全非,一一剖白現實的世界。

過去兩星期我也結識了數之不盡的陌生人,究竟我們會成為死黨朋友、情人知己,還是繼續做陌路人?其實重點取决於大家有否打開自己並用心聆聽對方,假以時日答案便會自有分曉。

Man, did I just stay up all night again?! The sky in this part of the continent will start turning blue around 3am in the summer time. 
Another anticipating experience is working with the art scene in UK.  I am keeping an eye open to any opportunity.
Making myself an easy lunch at my host's kitchen on the left.  First grocery shopping on the right - got all these stuffs for only £3.38!  Budget living rocks!
Simply enjoying a day out at Regent's Park with Ash~
I actually take more pleasure in wandering around local areas than touristy spots.
Central London is an excellent place for walking aimlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment