Thursday, July 7, 2011

Free Hugs

Just when I thought I needed a hug, I immediately got one.  In fact, not just one; I received tons at a the Free Hugs Event I joined.  There is something about a warm embrace that can break the invisible wall and melt the apathetic ice people build.  Having the privilege to witness and participate in a love spreading campaign is utterly mind-boggling, we really weren’t looking for anything in return but a hug.  A simple act of human kindness is enough.

Though I could only stayed for an hour as I had to work in the afternoon, I was still able to experience the joy of offering this straightforward gesture of love to strangers.  There were some “NO”, “don’t think I need it today”, “why are you doing this?”, “not for me”, but I simply felt such liberation of opening my arms with a FREE HUGS sign on the street.

To be honest, I did become a little more uptight about physically showing love to friends and family back in Hong Kong because everyone tends to keep a safe distance between each other in this fast paced urban bubble.  Yet it’s going to be different for me now. I am falling in love with hugging.

Watch out, all you beloved people at home, I shall return with lots of love, hugs, and kisses.  Can’t wait to hold you in my arms!

在香港也曾經聽過「抱抱運動」,但在這個匆忙的都市,一個温暖的擁抱彷彿是種陌生又奢侈的玩意,近日在倫敦參加了一個「免費抱抱」的活動,理念簡單,我們在繁忙的街道上拿著一張寫「FREE HUGS」的,打開雙手,然後跟路人擁抱!

我當然明白擁抱不是華人社會的社交禮儀,但相信我親愛的朋友及家人應該不會抗拒與我來一個愛的表達!說真的,等我回來,一起情深擁抱,哈!

Would you like a hug?
The couch surfers join forces in FREE HUGS!  What a lovely scene!!!
Is this London or what?  I'm helping to organize an Olympic walk around the area of Hackney.  Stumbled upon this stunning view during our exploration.
Ah huh, this is where the Olympic will be held.  The team is chilling & discussing at this view tube cafe facing the Olympic stadium.
Stopped by Soho toward the end of the Gay Pride Parade/Festival.   The London free spirit which empowers and inspires people to be who they are continue to amaze me.  It's time to loosen up, HONG KONG!
A car drove by and became a victim of the crowd.
A former pub, but now the living room of where my friend lives.   A great place to chill and hang out!
Finally made my way to a Jazz bar - extremely cozy with clashing decoration - just the way I love it!
Oh boy, the band, the breathtaking voice, the swing dancers, the company, the atmosphere... everything is just perfect.
Dragon, I'm taking you there. 
Had another night out with new friends.  Don't you just love the night scene in London? 
Saying goodbye to where I worked for a whole week - What Counts exhibition.  So... what counts for you?
Look at how happy I am, WORKING, lol~~

5 comments:

  1. LOL, like in Before the Sunset - "dissolve into molecules"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire your passion towards art! And I think hk is lucky to have you to advocate what you believe in! I wish you all the best and success and I am looking forward to seeing that scene in hong kong!
    Thanks so much for writing this blog, it has inspired me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you encouragement! Seriously, support like yours help me to press on when it gets rough. THANK YOU & may you also go after your own heart & dream!

      Delete