Monday, July 18, 2011

The Apprentice

I may get fired tomorrow.  It’s an awful feeling.
Of course, it is.  There is nothing wrong with crappy emotion though.  It’s all parts of being human.  The fact that you’re actually speaking to me at this very moment means you are in a much better place than you think.

How did I even get to this job?  The whole experience feels like a dream.  Perhaps I’m just not fit to be a fundraiser on the street.  I love chatting with strangers & learn all about their adventures.  Yet I hate pushing people to do what they are not ready to do.
That is exactly what I love about you now.  You are open to listen and no longer bound by any guideline of the general perception.  Forget about all those seemingly manipulation or objection responses they teach you.  Just be yourself and have fun on the street if they give you another chance.

In fact, I feel okay about raising money for the charity until the team leader told us we will get laid off if we don’t get any sign up today.  I can see that she is under stress, but it is obviously not helping to put extra pressure on newbies who still don’t quite know what we are doing and are learning how to deal with the hostile public.
Right on!  Taking rejection lightly and turning refusal into constructive growth is probably one of the biggest lessons you are learning now.  The flow has taken you to this position, and you have been working hard.  If you are not meant to keep it, then it shall pass.  You don’t even have to worry about it.

I seriously feel relieved as soon as you said that.  Tomorrow will be a brand new day.  Either I will look for another job or simply have a blast with everyone out there.  Why so tense and rush, London?  Lighten up!
Give them ultra smiles and love when they said they haven’t got time and are hasting from one place to another.  I know you can do it.  Share the radiating sun in you!

I almost want to give them hugs when I see those anxious and congested faces.  People have so much on their mind.  They hate to be paused.  Their expressions said, “Anyone who gets in my way should be slaughtered”.  To be honest, I was just like them.
Applause for your honesty!  No one has to be perfect.  Neither do you.

What about the value of charity?  I have been approached twice on the subject of trustworthiness and corruption of all these so-called non-profit organizations.  Should I go on further research?
There is no simple answer to these enormous questions.  Sure, it’ll be noble if you can really dig in the heart of the charity and find out all about it.  But for now, please chill out and focus on getting quality sleep.  You have been waking up at 5am for unknown reasons… will eventually wear out if this phenomenon continues.

Speaking of that, I should wrap this up and head to bed soon.  Thank you once again for your wisdom and company.  Good night, my beloved… zzzzzzzzzz
Please sleep through the night, dearest.


在刀光劍影的倫敦街道上,我化身慈善籌款大使,縱然任務艱辛,幸好沿途有你。


Went on a "field trip" to get to know more about the charity.  These are the vary animals we are fundraising for at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home.
The facilities at the centre are much much nicer than I expected.
Volunteers will train the dogs before they can be rehomed.
Some funny/ugly sides of London pictures from Shit London Book launch/opening - a collaborative effort of Facebook users.
The whole street is filled with gallery openings.  Very easy to do gallery hopping!
A warm and chill-out night at my friend George's kitchen.  
Free Hugs at Speaker's Corner, where preachers and philosophers make public speech about their beliefs.  We became zoo animals that afternoon for the crowds to observe, ha...  
Decided to sit outside of a museum to write & people watch after a long day of work.
This is not the first time worldwide friends gathered at Ali's home for fantastic dinner & amazing time.
First time traveling for work!  Went to Brighton for modeling session, and had a few hours to walk around the pier in the rain.
As my friend, Dragon, puts it: "This is not the sea.  It's the ocean!"
An abandoned pier/amusement park adds a whole different dimension & texture to Brighton. 
Found a water bucket installation in a chapel/gallery!
A cozy little bar - Three Blind Mice - great DJ & music!  Look forward to the live jazz there.
This is where I usually end up after a night out - waiting endlessly at a bus stop.
Got to love hanging out at a quiet pub on a lazy Sunday.
I love my friends!

4 comments:

  1. 2010年4月的一個早上~ 路經一個街頭募捐的攤位, 一個小男生靦靦腆腆的叫停我, 然後十分誠懇的將他截停我的原因, 落落力力的說了一遍~ 大約20分鐘裡, 我只感覺到陽光, 一個人對自己工作的熱誠, 所以, 就算我已是三個慈善機構的每月捐款者, 我還是答應小男生, 成為第四個......(當然我是認為那機構是可靠的) 臨別前, 小男生好像有點不捨, 問我: "你會記得我嗎?" 然後再將證件給我看, "我叫阿志, 編號036, 你要記得我啊......", 我說: "我會," 然後他一直揮手向我道別......我也回頭, 微笑, 揮手, 再道別......我想, 他很開心, 而我也因為遇見他的熱誠, 而開心了一整天, 還急不及待在facebook留言: 我今天遇見了小天使......

    街頭fundraiser遇過很多很多, 相信小男生也遇過無數不願為他而停留的人, 但, 他自行發熱發亮而不硬銷的工作態度, 實在吸引人; 就算不捐款, 我可以肯定, 那個理由一定不在小男生身上~ 他不是已經成功了嗎?

    對於我, 是, 因為我知道, 他無論去到哪個崗位, 他都有可能做得好; 做得不好, 可能是那個崗位根本不適合他~ 正如我做不到sales一樣! ;p

    我也很喜歡你現在的態度啊! 你也可以成為別人(一天)的天使!

    況且, 就如你所說, "if you are not meant to keep it, then it shall pass." 這不過是一個體驗, 就當自己是金城武(!!), 今日不演藝術家要演募捐者, 演完了, 體驗過了, 又再演另一個~ 享受到的, 領悟到的, 快樂的, 自己帶走, 其餘的, 就留給那個角色, 那段日子好了! 人生本來就是一台有趣的戲! 演過, 才好玩!

    哈哈, 其實你我有時候, 也是飾演匆匆路人~ 不必介懷, 只要自己沒有因為怕受騙顯得愚蠢而收起自己的同理心, 就好了~ 如果那些"可靠"的, 還是沒有minimize他們的行政費, 我還是會選"最可靠"的, 去將那7除8扣的xx%, 送到貧窮人那裡, 至少, 他們也有xx%可以活得好一點~

    很多事情, 想得再多再深也不會有什麼答案~ 最重要是自己的觀點~ 但, 別在夜深或黎明去建立自己的價值觀/世界觀吧!=.=" 失眠, 不值得啊! (可能因為我鍾意訓覺o拉!XD!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 係電話到睇番你過去幾篇的日誌,有好/不好的經歷;但當見到你相中的笑容,我感到安心。真的,I'm so pround of u! 你要加油呀!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIG THANK YOU AGAIN, Conney! For your sharing & encouragement!!! The answer is out - I'm fired, haha~~ But I feel okay about it. Just need to find another job ASAP, so I'll have money to spend in Spain, LOL! I too believe that not every role may suit me; yet as long as I put my passion & energy into it, it'll always be a worthwhile experience. I'm sleeping a little better now. After the tension is gone, I don't wake up as early~~

    Thanks, Dilys, the smile comes from the heart, and nothing will be able to stop that. Hope all is well on your side too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha~ now i think, maybe i was casted to be a 鼓舞者 since the very beginning! ;P
    u deserve to be happy, therefore, encouragement will go with you~ wherever you are~
    jz try ur best for the job hunt but dun get anxious abt it~ as far as i know, bread doesn't cost much in spain~ hehe!

    ReplyDelete